Send and read messages
Write and send messages
There are two ways to start writing new messages in Slack:
- Use the compose button.
- Type a message in the message field of any channel or direct message.
Create a message from the compose button
- From anywhere in Slack, click the compose button next to your workspace name in the top left.
- Type the name of a person (up to eight) or channel in the To: field.
- Type and format your message in the message field.
- Click the paper plane icon to send your message.
Type a message the message field
- Click the message field in a channel or direct message.
- Type and format your message.
- Press Enter to send it.
Add to your message
As you're writing, use the icons below to add to your message:
|Select a shortcut (lightning bolt icon)|
|Format your message (bold, italics, strikethrough, three dots for more options)|
|Mention someone (the @ symbol)|
|Add an emoji (smiley face)|
|Add a file (paperclip icon)|
Note:If at any point you’re not ready to send your message, it will save as a draft so you can come back to it later. Read more about drafts below.
Create and edit drafts
If you start writing a message and do not send it, it will automatically save as a draft. Use the information below to help you access your draft messages.
Click Drafts in the left sidebar to view all your drafted messages. Hover over any message for more options:
Tip:If there is an unsent message in a conversation, you’ll see a pencil icon next to the channel name or direct message in the left sidebar.
If a channel or direct message name is bolded in your channel list, that means there are unread messages. You can click the bolded channel or direct message to open the conversation and view unread messages.
Decide how Slack manages read messages
Messages in Slack will be marked as read soon after you open a channel or direct message. If you’d like, you can change this preference.
Mark messages as unread
If you need to come back to a message later, you can mark it as unread.
- Hover over the oldest message you’d like to mark as unread.
- Click the three dots icon.
- Click Mark unread. The selected message, and any others sent after it, will be marked unread.
Tip: You can also hold Alt and click a message to mark that message and any others sent after it as unread.