Breakout rooms are sessions that are split off from the main Zoom meeting. They allow the participants to meet in smaller groups. Breakout rooms can be used for collaboration and discussion of the meeting.
- Join the meeting by the Zoom desktop client, mobile app, phone, or H.323/SIP device
- Invitation to join breakout rooms from the meeting host
Note: Users joined into the Zoom meeting from the Zoom Desktop Client, Zoom Mobile App, or H.323/SIP devices can participate in breakout rooms. Users joined via the web client, Chromebooks/Chrome OS or Zoom Rooms are unable to join Breakout Rooms, but the main room can be used as an alternative session for these users.
Join a Breakout Room
- The host will need to invite you to join the breakout room.
- Tap Join.
- If you choose Later, you can join by tapping the Join Breakout Room.
Participating in the Breakout Room
Once you've joined the breakout room, you will have full controls similar to the meeting. You can:
- Mute/Unmute to speak
- Start/Stop Video
- Participants - view the Participants list
- Share screen - read more about screen sharing
- Chat - type messages to the other participants in your breakout room
- Ask for Help - request help from the meeting host
Ask for Help
If you Ask for Help, it will notify the meeting host that you need assistance and they will be asked to join your breakout room.
- Tap Ask for Help.
- Confirm that you would like assistance by tapping Ask for Help.
Leave the Breakout Room
You can leave the breakout room and return to the main meeting session at any time, or you can leave the meeting entirely from the breakout room.
- Tap Leave.
- Choose if you want to leave the breakout room or the entire meeting.
- When the host ends the breakout rooms, you will be notified and given the option to return to the main room immediately, or in 60 seconds.