What is a direct message?
Who can use this feature?
- All members can send DMs. Single-Channel Guests can participate in group DMs, but cannot start their own.
- Free, Standard, Plus, and Enterprise Gridplans
Direct messages (DMs) are one-to-one conversations between you and another workspace member. **Group direct messages (group DMs)**are smaller discussions, outside of channels, between you and up to eight other members. DMs work well for one-off conversations that don't require an entire channel to weigh in.
A few things to keep in mind:
- When you invite someone to a group DM, a new conversation will start without the previous message history.
- To preserve message history, you can convert your group DM to a private channel before adding new members.
- It’s not possible to leave a group DM, so you’ll need to ask one of the participants to create a new DM without you.
- Members of a group DM will only receive notifications for messages. They will not be notified when the group DM is created.
Note: Only members with permission to create private channels can move a group DM to a private channel.